ADAS is looking for a Soil and Land Drainage Surveyor (Trainee / Graduate) to join our established and expanding Agriculture and Soils team based in the UK. This is a full-time, permanent position. Location is flexible across England and Wales.
You will be assisting the Soils and Land Draining Team to deliver soil and land surveys, soil management plans and land draining designs for a range of projects. These include cross-country pipelines and cables, infrastructure, residential and commercial developments and government funded advice to farms. The primary role would be soil surveying and reporting but supporting the delivery of land drainage surveys and designs would also be the medium to long term aim. Full training will be provided but equally we would consider candidates with experience in the relevant specialisms.
The projects would be located throughout the UK, sometimes in remote and challenging locations. We therefore require dedicated and enthusiastic staff who enjoy outdoor working with a strong aptitude for hard and physical work, excellent communication skills and a willingness to develop their skills and abilities within this busy team.
ADAS is the leading supplier of independent technical, environmental and business advice to the UK’s farmers and growers, land managers and related organisations. We provide a wide range of specialist consultancy services to corporate and private businesses, undertake leading edge research and deliver knowledge transfer and advice programmes on behalf of government and industry organisations.
- Undertake soil and land drainage survey, full training will be given
- Produce written reports for Agricultural Land Classification (ALC), Soil Resource Assessment, land drainage designs and other related projects for clients
- Manage data and to use Geographical Information Systems (GIS) and AutoCAD to support technical reporting
- Liaising with clients, landowners, contractors, statutory authorities and third parties
Full specialist technical training will be provided as required. ADAS requires its employees to demonstrate energy, responsibility and curiosity, which lead to the delivery of results.
- Hold a full driving licence and own transport
- Must be able to travel throughout the UK and stay away from home for short periods to complete field surveys
- Must also be comfortable lone working in an agricultural setting where livestock may be present
- Able to understand and communicate verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner in English
- Hold an agricultural, engineering or earth science academic qualification
- Be able to demonstrate excellent report writing skills
- Be accustomed to working outside in all weather
Salary and Benefits
- Negotiable depending on experience
- When required to work at locations which require you to stay away from home the company will pay subsistence and accommodation rates within normal company policies
- Mileage rate of 45p per mile for the use of own vehicle, subject to having the necessary business insurance cover
- Life assurance
- A flexible benefits programme including the option to buy additional holidays, health cash plan and discounted gym membership
RSK Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Working alongside landowners, farmers, and growers since 1946, we have been providing ideas, specialist knowledge, and solutions to secure our food and enhance the environment for over 75 years.
Our aim is to help address the challenges and opportunities faced by organisations working in food production and the natural environment, and we continue to thrive by attracting innovative thinkers into our workforce.
We currently have over 400 employees delivering solutions in 60 specialist subjects, making us the UK’s largest independent provider of agricultural and environmental consultancy, rural development services, research and development, and policy advice. Whether you want to work on national or international projects, we can provide a varied career in a wide array of industries and public sector services.
ADAS is part of the RSK Group, a leading integrated environmental, engineering, and technical services business providing dynamic, multidisciplinary services to a wide range of sectors. RSK was founded in 1989 and has grown considerably since then. In fact, Environment Analyst recently highlighted RSK’s growth commenting, “Few companies in the environmental services sector can claim to be expanding at the same pace as RSK.” Today, RSK Group consists of over 120 businesses and employs over 7,000 specialists. The group is headquartered in the United Kingdom and has an established presence in more than 40 countries around the world.