Scion specialises in research, science and technology development to support a bio-economy based on the forest industry, wood-derived materials and/or other biomaterial sectors. Our purpose is to drive innovation and growth from these sectors to create economic value and contribute to beneficial environmental and social outcomes form New Zealand.
An exciting opportunity is now available for a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Rhizosphere Ecology to join us at our Christchurch office. The Post-Doctoral Fellow will apply a combination of molecular ecology tools with bioinformatic analysis to investigate mechanisms by which plants shape the rhizosphere microbiome, thereby affecting plant health and ecosystem function. The successful candidate will have a PhD in molecular microbial ecology, plant-soil-microbial interactions (or a closely related discipline), and be proficient in relevant bioinformatic and statistical tools and approaches for sequence data handling, analysis, and interpretation.
Whilst based at Scion in Christchurch under the supervision of Dr Steve Wakelin, the fellow will work with a multi-agency team of scientists from Lincoln University and AgResearch. The programme is supported by the New Zealand Tertiary Education Commission through the New Zealand Bio-Protection Research Centre - a Centre of Research Excellence (CoRE).
What are we looking for? You will:
- Have a PhD in Biological Sciences with a strong competence in molecular microbial ecology, bioinformatics, and statistical skills.
- Have a demonstrated understanding of soil plant microbe interactions and/or rhizosphere ecology.
- Have a demonstrated ability to publish research results in reputable international peer-reviewed journals.
- Have an attention to detail and strong record keeping abilities.
- Be reliable and have a strong sense of initiative with a proven ability to work in team and alone at times.
We are home to creative science minds and have a vibrant culture that allows employees to pursue innovation and excellence in their science. Scion offers an enviable working environment with excellent work/life balance initiatives. Christchurch is the gateway to New Zealand's South Island with its outstanding natural environment and proximity to coastal beaches, inland lakes, native forests and ski fields in the Southern Alps.
Scion is proud to offer:
- Opportunities for a fulfilling career that enables outcomes for New Zealand
- Continuous professional development; and
- A demonstrated commitment to Good Employer/EEO principles.
Job specification details can be found here
Closing Date: 17 December 2017
For further information and to apply online, please refer to our website