Please come and join us for our next group meeting and discussions. With BASIS CPD points available, the final agenda for the meeting is as follows:
1000 Arrivals and coffee
1030 Welcome and Introduction (Ian Rugg)
* Work of the BSSS and Working with Soils Training Programme (Sarah Coe NRW)
* EU and UK / Welsh soils policy update (Ian Rugg WG)
* DEFRA & other R&D updates (Ian Rugg WG)
* University / Student update (John Scullion - Aberystwyth University / Richard Hill - Aberystwyth University)
1100 Speaker sessions
* Speaker 1 Dr Fiona Fraser (Cranfield University) : Probing the basis of soil resilience
An update on Corstanje et al 2014 paper on soil resilience. A discussion on the importance of taxonomic class, parent material and soil texture in resilience, as well as the need for a systems approach to soil management.
* Speaker 2 Richard Hartnup (ex. Soil Survey of England and Wales): Using the National Soil map - how it was made and what it tells us.
Background to how the National Soil Map was made, how it should and shouldn’t be used and what Soil Associations actually tell us.
1200 Lunch (not provided)
1300 Speaker sessions
Speaker 3 Antonio Rodriguez (Bangor University): Simulating extreme flood events in grasslands. Cycle of nutrients and microbial community structure.
* Speaker 4 Dr Joanna Niziolomski (Cranfield University): The Welsh Soils Evidence Review
Key findings of the recently completed Welsh Government Soils Evidence Review. This is a synthesis of key soils research affecting Wales, identifying
evidence on state and condition of Welsh soils to help inform future R&D and policy.
1415 Discussion session
What do people want from the group, topics for meetings, website, suggested speakers, venues, strengthening links between soil, ecology and agriculture.
BASIS CPD points are available for attending this meeting so please ensure you have your Basis ID number with you on the day. 4 CPD points have been accredited - 3Environment, 1Personal Development.
The meeting is free for members and £10 for non-members.
Booking is now closed for this event.