In partnership with The Careers Group and Alzheimers Research UK, this course is for PhD students and Post-docs who want to develop the skills to increase their chances of long term career success
- Are you concerned that you could be doing more about your long term career development?
- Do you find it hard to think about what you need to do beyond completing your current post-doc?
- Are you uncertain about what will increase your chances of having a successful career (beyond just establishing a good publication record)?
- Would you like some concrete ideas of actions you could take now to prepare you for future leadership roles?
In research it can be too easy to slip into the habit of not thinking beyond your current post-doctoral role. However, to increase your chances of a successful research-based career you need to be more proactive in your own career development.
Whilst you are developing your research skills and publication record, it is advantageous to think about the other qualities that you will need to demonstrate in the future. In this workshop, we will use common strategic decision making methods to think about the big picture trends that are shaping the future research environment and will use this awareness to help identify the qualities you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful in future roles.
Although in the workshop we will focus on the research environment, the techniques can be applied to understanding any sector or career path if you are considering career options outside research.
By the end of this workshop you will have:
- The ability to use strategic thinking tools to inform your long term career thinking
- A clearer idea of your career priorities and values that will help you to make good decisions about your future options
- Greater confidence in your ability to acquire and demonstrate career-enhancing skills and achievements
- An understanding of the attitudes and behaviours that will increase your chances of career success
This Training Event has been approved by the Society of Biology for CPD purposes and can be counted as 15 CPD points.
BSSS Student Members can attend the course for the reduced Member Organisation rate of £90 plus VAT