A course for Laboratory team leaders who want to improve the way they manage their teams and Postdoctoral researchers who aspire to team leadership positions.
A successful career in a scientific lab environment needs leadership and management skills as well as research skills. To get the best from people, team leaders need to be able to form teams, provide leadership and deal with issues that will inevitably emerge. These are skills that can be developed with practice. The aim of this course is to introduce some team-working and leadership models that can be of practical use in developing those skills.
Who is the course for?
Following the success of previous courses, the Society continues offer this one-day introductory course specifically to meet the needs of postdoctoral researchers in academic or industrial environments. It is aimed at:
- Laboratory team leaders and principal investigators who want to improve the way they manage their teams
- Postdoctoral researchers who have been selected for, or aspire to, promotion to team leader positions
What does the course cover?
- How teams work and how to work in teams
- An introduction to leadership models and styles
- Successful team management - learning leadership behaviours and dealing with potential issues
- Case studies
- Guidance on further study and development
Who is the course trainer?
Charlie Wilson scraped through with a Batchelor's degree in Biology from Southampton University in 1978 and has been a member of the Society or its predecessors almost ever since. Although he has never worked in the biosciences he has always regarded himself as a biologist who happens to be doing other things. Those other things have included a career in the Royal Navy, independent consultancy and executive coaching. He has worked with industry, banks and schools, has a Masters degrees in both Coaching and Behavioural Change, and Leadership and Management.
Certification and Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
A certificate of attendance will be provided after the event.
- Members - £90 + VAT
- Members of Member Organisations, SCAS members - £120 + VAT
- Non-members - £180 + VAT