Agricultural Land Classification (ALC) has a formal role in the planning system in England and Wales and is designed to prevent the loss of our best and most versatile land in line with the principles of sustainable development.
This training course, designed and presented by agricultural land classification (ALC) experts from Natural England and the Welsh Government, offers a unique opportunity to learn about the background and technical basis of the current ALC guidelines.
By the end of the two day course you will learn:
- about how the ALC system has developed over time, its underlying principles and its role within the planning system - the WHAT, WHY and WHEN of ALC
- all the details of how land is graded - the HOW of ALC
- what a report should contain in order to be verified by the Natural England and Welsh Government statutory consultees on planning applications involving soils and agriculture
- how to present ALC results as an expert witness
As well as taught sessions, you will carry out a group ALC grading desk exercise to apply what you have learned.
The course is designed for:
- soil scientists who wish to extend their experience to (or refresh an existing awareness of) Agricultural Land Classification,
- those commissioning ALC surveys from specialists, and
- planners reviewing ALC reports.
Completion of the course is not a certificate of competence to undertake ALC surveys. Competence in undertaking ALC surveys, as described in Working with Soil Document 2 (below), will require subsequent relevant survey experience.
For non soil specialists, prior or subsequent attendance on Working with Soil course ‘Exposing and Describing a Soil Profile’ or an equivalent course, is strongly recommended to enable you to get the most out of this course.
The two-day ALC course will take place at The Arden Hotel in Solihull, close to the NEC. Please note overnight accommodation is not included.
This course qualifies for CPD points for professional practice schemes. BASIS CPD has been awarded at a total of 10 points (6 Environment + 4 Personal Development)
Please read our Event Cancellation Policy carefully - see below.