Detailed below are the levels of membership that the Society offers. If you are unsure which is the best option for you please contact us
Student Membership: (£30 per annum Jan - Dec) Student Membership is open to all registered students of soil science and its allied disaplines. Proof of student status must be provided on application.
Full (MI Soil Sci) Membership: costs just £55 (£30 for students/ reduced) per annum (Jan - Dec). Reduced membership is open to members who are resident in countries classified as “low income” by the world bank, see here.
This membership is relevant for;
- Scientists and other professionals with a track-record in soil science research or application
- relevant expertise in any aspect of soil science and related disciplines
- qualification is a recognised honours degree followed by a minimum of 5 years suitable professional experience
- evidence of competencies, which can be from knowledge, training or experience
- Graduates with non-honours degrees or honours degrees in other subjects with non-soils bias but with subsequent soil experience may be eligible, but would normally be required to have gained at least 7 years suitable experience
This membership level entitles you to use the suffix M.I. Soil Sci. after your name
Associate Member: (£30 per annum Jan - Dec): The category of Associate Member is primarily intended for anyone with an interest in Soil Science or anyone who does not meet the Full Membership criteria yet. Please note this level of membership does not entitle the member to use a suffix.
Technical Member: (£35 per annum Jan - Dec): Technical membership is open to skilled and experienced administrative staff engaged in soil science research, government, NGO and commercial activities but who are not eligible for Full Membership. Please note this level of membership does not entitle the member to use a suffix.
Chartered Scientist: (£50 per annum Jan - Dec): This is only available to Full or Fellow Members of the Society.
Fellow: (£20 per annum Jan-Dec) The Professional Practice Committee may recommend the award of Fellow status to members who have achieved an important level of responsibility and professional experience and have become recognised nationally/internationally within the profession. The Fellow retains Full Member status. Fellows of the Institute are entitled to use the suffix F.I. Soil Sci. after their name.
Retired Status: (no annual fee) This is offered personally to individuals who have been a long serving Member of the Society, no longer employed but who still have an interest in keeping in contact with the Society.
Honorary Membership: (no annual fee) This is a discretionary award made by the Society to persons who have been a Full Member of the Society for at least 10 preceding consecutive years and/ or who have made an exceptional contribution to the objects of the Society.